Starting at Ground Zero
Tim Karsliyev once said, never chase what you want. Elevate your game until what you want pursues you.
This quote is one of the quotes that I live by daily and I try to live my life by it. I try to be consistent at my efforts and do my best to be 1% better every day.
My fellow toastmasters and friends, a year ago, I decided to join this club. Through the ten speeches in the CC module back then, I have laid my life before you in this very stage, sharing with you my life experiences and dreams. You know that my name is Farah Saleh and I am not named after a Charlie’s angel. Most of you know that I enjoy running, writing and travelling.
What most of you didn’t know was that this past one year has changed me. I am not who I thought I was back then. In fact, if it weren’t for the little bit I’ve learned over the past year, I wouldn’t have a clue. Fortunately, I do have a clue. Thanks to an open mind and the support of others, I’ve been able to wake up to a wonderful life, one in which I choose who I am, and what I do.
Not all of my days and nights are smooth and peaceful. I can still get emotionally overwhelmed over insignificant things. I can still spend sleepless nights with a chattering mind, feeling guilty and blaming myself for all the mistakes that I had made, forgetting that self- love is important to get you to your goals. Last year, the biggest turning point in my life was when I lost my job. That very night, I laid in my bed and just let my thoughts flow freely. The good, the bad, the ugly. I decided to not be happy. Happiness comes and go. But when life is really good and when things are really bad, having meaning is something that I can hold on to.
I decided to return to the core values that my parents have taught me.
- Most essential source of meaning (bonds between families and friends)
- Not a job but rather using your strengths to serve others. For most of us, it is through work. That is how we contribute and feel needed. But what happens if you lose your job? How do you find strength to rise up after you fall and move forward?
- Stepping beyond yourself, but in a completely different way, transcendence (States where you are lifted beyond the hustle and bustle of life), your sense of self fades away and you feel connected to a higher reality. For some of us, it can be through writing or religion or bringing up your family
- Story telling:
- Story you tell others about yourself
- Creating a narrative of your life events and then change the way we are telling them. After all, we are the authors of our life (reflect and change)
At this point in my life, I have redempted myself and started a new job in the field that I am most passionate about with new challenges and responsibilities. I have decided to create another chapter of my life by learning German. Hence, I am starting over at ground zero, with hope to lead meaningful life and tell stories about my life defined by redemption, growth and love.
Danke fürs Zuhören und Guten Nacht which means thank you for listening and good night in German.